Make Your Own Natural Tooth Powder (or Paste)




I have been making our own tooth powders and pastes for years and along the way have changed the recipe several times until I came up with this one.  It is my favorite of all the ones I have created.

This recipe makes decent size batch so that it can be stored in a quart sized jar to use in refilling smaller jars we use for each person in the household as needed.  Doing it this way has really saved me a lot of time.  When one person's jar is emptied, it gets rinsed, dried, and refilled from the quart jar.  Easy and fast.

Though one can use just plain baking soda,  it can often be too abrasive for using this way daily for a long period of time.  It has been said that it can actually cause minor scratches on the teeth that will likely lead to a greying or darkening of the teeth.

This is why I like to blend the sodium bicarbonate with either organic

Tapioca Starch or Arrow Root Powder.

The addition of the magnesium and calcium citrates is partially for the sake of having another way to get these two needed minerals - that must be taken together - into our bodies via absorption through the gums.  Plus, I believe they help to remineralize the teeth. 

Then it is just a matter of choosing your favorite essential oil to add. 

Recipe:
* 1.5 cups Soda Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) 1/2 cup
* 1/2 cup (up to 1.5 cups) Arrow Root Powder or Tapioca Starch
*1/4 cup Calcium Citrate
* 1 tsp to 1 Tbl Peppermint Oil or essential oil of choice 

Other great options for essential oils would be Lime Oil, Clove Oil, Orange Oil, Myrrh Oil (very beneficial to over all oral health), or a blend of any of these - the amount of oil you use is going to depend on you or your family's sensitivity to these.  We like our strong so I use about a Tablespoon of the Peppermint.  Orange Clove is one of my favorites but since everyone here likes peppermint, just make that.

Put all ingredients into a half gallon mason jar.


Put a tight fitting lid on the jar and shake for about 30 seconds or more until it is all well blended.  This is the easiest way to mix.  You could also opt for a large bowl and a whisk.


After it is all mixed well, pour into a quart sized, regular mouth mason jar using a canning funnel to prevent spilling.


We each have our own four ounce mason jar for our personal use of the tooth powder and they are properly labeled so we do not mix them up. 

One can also choose to make this more into a paste by mixing the powder into an equal amount of melted or at least softened coconut oil, stirring frequently until the oil has hardened and it is well blended.  Coconut oil is also very beneficial to over all oral health and it is my choice to use for oil pulling. Just be sure you are not spitting this down your sink or it will clog the pipes.

Those who are very sensitive may find the baking soda too strong so what I recommend is to increase the amount of tapioca starch or arrow root powder as noted in parenthesis in the above recipe.  

For my most recent batch, I went up to 1 full cup of the tapioca starch but I have also tried a ratio of 1:1, baking soda to starch. I like the 1:1 ratio best as it makes the smoothest texture but still gets the teeth very clean.

Here the video I did showing how I make and blend the powder.
 
  
I do hope you found this post useful  in your own journey to create a more healthy and frugal life.  Thank you Faithful Reader! ~Heidi



Here are some of my other posts you may enjoy:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonderful Uses and Benefits of Wooly Lamb's Ear

Marshmallow: Root Harvest and More

Grape Leaves Health Benefits and Uses