Homemade Tartar Sauce

Making your own tartar sauce is not only very frugal, it is also quite simple and far better for you than store bought.  

I preach it all the time about reading those labels, you will find all kinds of things that serve no real purpose (other than to make a product more appealing through appearance or texture) and are very unhealthy.  Commonly found unsavory and toxic ingredients in store bought tartar sauces are Calcium Disodium EDTA, soybean oil, and high fructose corn syrup.

If going with the super simple method, one only needs two ingredients: mayonnaise and  relish.  However, if buying these store bought, you are still looking at either paying a lot of money for ones without all the nasty ingredients or you are still getting the same garbage you would buying the premade tartar sauce.

For me, I start by making my own organic mayo from farm raised chicken eggs, avocado oil, homemade vinegar, mustard powder, and salt


In this batch, I used some eggs I had bought from locals a couple of years ago (and before having my own chickens) and froze up in batches of two. I find these work just as well, and sometimes better, than the fresh eggs for making mayonnaise.

I put the two whole eggs into a two cup measuring cup and whip for a few seconds with my stick blender.  


I then add in 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, and 1 Tablespoon of whatever homemade vinegar I have on hand such as apple, peach, or raisin. 

I blend this up a bit more then start pouring one cup of the avocado oil into the egg mixture while blending.  I find pouring the oil in slowly while blending on high yields the best results. This will take 1-3 minutes. Each batch can be different in blending time, I suppose this could be due to the uniqueness of each egg used.



Once the mayo is ready, I take about 3/4 cup of that and add to it three heaping tablespoons of my homemade green tomato-zucchini relish.  This is all a matter of taste as to what kind or how much relish you want to add.



Mix well and add whatever other spices sound good like a pinch of dill or red pepper flakes.  Serve with fish, fried potatoes, or whatever you like your tartar sauce with.  Enjoy!


 You can find a video on my relish recipe here:


Thank you again Faithful Reader for stopping by! ~Heidi



Other posts you may like:

Also check out

Comments

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wonderful Uses and Benefits of Wooly Lamb's Ear

Marshmallow: Root Harvest and More

Grape Leaves Health Benefits and Uses