Make Your Own Seasoned Salt

I have been making my own seasoned salt for over 20 years. It all started when I got my hands on Amy Dacyczyn's Tightwad Gazette book collection.  At that time it was three separate books but now can be found consolidated into one Complete Tightwad Gazette.

I think it was in book three I found a recipe for seasoned salt and since modified it a bit to suit our tastes more.  It also spurred me into making other blends like my Mexican popcorn seasoning blend, and I will share that recipe in another blog post in the future.

When I first started making my own seasoned salt many years ago, it was for the purpose of being frugal.  Now it is much more than that.  Take a look at the ingredients of most store bought blends.  They will have at least one or more of any of these ingredients such as GMO corn, MSG, or silicon dioxide.  Good grief!

By making your own, you can not only cut out all that nastiness and save money at the same time, you can also choose better quality herbs and spices and customize the blends to your taste. 

Since I like to make a big batch of this seasoned salt, I prefer to keep it simple as I will add more herbs and spices according to my mood or the dish I am using it on at the time, yet this simple recipe goes well with pretty much anything.



To start with, there are five basic ingredients.  I will be giving you the ratios I use of these but you can modify the amounts to suit you and below the recipe I will suggest some ideas for other herbs and spices you may want to add or make several different blends for different uses.
This recipe is enough to fill one quart sized jar.  I like to use a regular mouth jar that I then use to refill the dedicated mason jar shaker for the seasoned salt.
Ingredients:
*2 cups of Pink Himalayan Salt or Redmond Real Salt  
*1/2 cup paprika

The easiest method of mixing (suggested to me by one of my youtube subscribers some time ago and it is the BEST way) is to put all ingredients into a half gallon jar and then just shake for about 20 seconds or until thoroughly blended. 
 Using a canning funnel, pour the seasoned salt into a quart jar and add a tight fitting lid for storage.
Some options for your seasoned salt would be 1/8 - 1/4 cup of any of the following:
*turmeric
This salt is great on many things such as potatoes, meats, popcorn, and more!
 
Enjoy and thank you for your time!
~Heidi

Other posts you might enjoy:


Also check out our 

Comments

  1. I made a batch of wine salt, but this has the potential to really jazz up my spicing life. Thanks Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wonderful Uses and Benefits of Wooly Lamb's Ear

Marshmallow: Root Harvest and More

Grape Leaves Health Benefits and Uses